I'm not privvy to all the ins and outs and what have yous of the
various scenes, but I have heard this from enough people that there's
no way they're all just making it up. I also had a friend who this
happened to, not exactly a parallel to Juan but just letting you know,
yes it definitely does happen.

Promoters can be sketchy sometimes. Could be miscommunication, genuine
delusion, or any other number of honest mistakes... but yeah I'm sure
some cases are just maliciousness/looking for a quick buck. Most of
the sketchier promoters don't last forever. Eventually people will
catch on and stop supporting them.