On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 8:11 PM, Kowalsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In the actual drum n' bass scene, i totally agree with you.
>  But in dubstep, if you listen closely, putting the formulaic
>  parachuters aside, you'll find influences of dub (of course) techno,
>  oriental progressions, jazz, soul, various types of tribal
>  percussions, dancehall and hip-hop.

to my ears, when i hear the music i dont hear any of that stuff (aside
from the gratuitous "oriental" thing that was popular for a while)
especially compared to when the music was just 2-step.

>  If what you're really saying is that the majority of style followers
>  take influences only of that style itself, i agree. It happens in all
>  styles, including techno and house.

i feel like you will always have subsets of techno and house music
influenced by disco, jazz, latin music, r+b, etc. and of course they
mix it up, too. in dubstep it seems to be largely trend hopping in its
influences, and they always seem to be more second hand than direct.
for example, all this talk about techno influencing dubstep hasnt
produced much that really sounds like techno in any way. it is like
some distorted idea of what techno should be.

>  Due to their popularization as club music, the number of generic,
>  functional and unexpressive tunes we can find, comming from techno
>  and house areas, are like the number of grains of sand in a beach.

well of course there are tons of nonsense releases in the genres that
have been around for 20 years, i just tend to completely ignore them
;)

tom