Techno is one among many influences in the dubstep sound. I would not call the influence of techno "second hand". Well it's an influence, not a copy/paste thing. Influences are not supposed to be identical, mimetic. Are supposed to be "filtered", processed, and, sometimes, yes, distorted. I don't really know what techno should be. I know something concerning to what techno was, and is. Because it's surely more than i know of it. I don't know if dubstep producers get their techno flavour from american or european techno. Probabaly from the european (minimal?) techno and from the uk hardcore techno and rave culture passing on seamlessly over and over. I don't think they took influences directly from the roots of detroit techno - most of these producers are kids. But the techno flavour is there, anyway. Blended in a dub modus operandi. Just listen to Geiom's "Overnight Biscuits" or to Digital Mysticz's "Neverland".

Kw