kent williams wrote:
It's also to separate the music from the scene, and to realize that
slagging on a music/scene when it blows up is as much a Hipster
transgression as following that trend.  I was amused last summer
walking around Brooklyn 'hipster' neighborhood last summer; it seemed
like people who, in my shallow evaluation were, in fact, the dreaded
hipsters, were modulating their fashion sense and coiffure to avoid
the dreaded hipster signifiers.

Being hip is too exhausting for me.  You'll always be trying to stay
ahead of curve, and nothing but eternal vigilance will keep you from
staying with something formerly cutting edge, now declasse'.  It's
like surfing -- you want to be in the curl without the wave crashing
over you.  I'm content to like what I like and let someone else sort
it out.

For some reason, reading this reminded me of one of my favorite
quotes of all time (taken from the Epilogue section of the Sex
Pistols' "The Filth And The Fury" DVD, with a bunch of talking
head interviews):

"It seems to me like the dividing line, kinda, between being a kid
and being an adult is that when you are a kid, you want to impose
yourself on the world and change the world to be like you, and be
congratulated for being yourself.

The other side of that line is you realize that the world itself
is interesting, and you should take a look, instead of wanting it
to pay attention at you."

-- Richard Hell