What I'm wondering is - do these people go out to the club with the
intention of stealing records/drives/needles?
Is is a crazy moment of "I wonder if I could?"
or is it some kind of klepto force from within that suddenly takes someone
over and they're compelled to do it?

It's interesting that the photographer didn't catch it in any shots - means
the person was watching
which leads me to think this was not some spur of the moment thing but a
someone looking for some gear to fence

MEK