This is actually some of the better onboard sound (for PC's that is,
Mac's are usually halfway decent) that I've heard. A presonus or E-mu
would sound better but this doesn't sound "bad." There actually is
some subtle tinniness in this that, if you have $300 to spare I would
still advocate getting a firewire sound interface and using something
other than a 1/8" line input. But it is not deal-killingly awful
fidelity by any measure.

I lost my tolerance for onboard sound eventually, after getting fed up
with hearing my computer think audibly every time I clicked the mouse,
for instance. Onboard sound is just like onboard video... as a rule,
it is subpar. I don't know why, that's just the rule. I may be more
puritanical about this than most... I'm fine with that.

But no there's nothing awful about this sound.

The mix isn't half bad either. :)