Tread lightly on this subject... the technical stuff matters. (don't
get me wrong you're not doing badly.)

I have been engineering audio for several years now and every year I
get less tolerant of mediocre sound fidelity. I've long since deleted
all my mp3's that are 128kbps (<192 sounds simply terrible to me) and
avoid downloading anything lower than c.256 unless there's a specific
reason to (something a friend did, something I need for work or
whatever, etc.)

Any mp3's I encode now are at 320. I now regret recording my record
collection at 192 early on, because I did a lot of records at 192 and
now I want to go back and redo them at 320.

I don't know. Poor fidelity just bothers me--it's almost worse when
it's something I should be enjoying but it's ruined by poor
engineering, or excessive compression (file or level, as the case may
be), etc. Like if the art itself was crappy it would just be like,
"oh, whatever..." move on.

The creative aspects take a backseat as far as some people (like
myself) are concerned when the artist blows it technically.

Anyway, your mileage may vary on all these views but this is how I
feel about audio (same basic thing is true of video) these days. Poor
fidelity really detracts something from the intended experience, and
if it could have been special that's frustrating as hell for me.