I didn't read all the posts in this thread, sorry about that, but anyone mentioned Elements of Tone from States of Mind already? This track is a killer, and it's one of my favorite techno tunes of all time, although i don't dig everything Hawtin did.

Kw

On 02/05/2008, at 12:00, Odeluga, Ken wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: KiDD*e [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, May 02, 2008 11:19 AM
To: Three-One-Three
Subject: Re: (313) Easiest way to start a (313) argument - the Richie
Hawtin RA Podcast

After your post, i've started listening to Plastikman's discography. Of course "Spastik" is a forever classic, personnaly i've always loved and
rated Fuse's "Dimension Intrusion" number one. But i forgot there are
some true wonders on the following albums, e.g. how "Are Friends
Elektric?" is pretty. (from "Artifakts (BC)" album).
- K*

***************

Agreed on this KiDD*e.

This gives me what might be a more positive, and revealing idea than to
tear strips off what we don't like about RH.

How about if we list some of the things he's done, under any moniker,
which we do like?

Tristan mentioned the 'I Don't Know' 12"

In my case:

I like the whole 'Closer' LP plus:

Consumed
Dimension Intrusion
Artifakts
Sheet One
still hypnotised by the Krakpot 12"
Still reach back for From My Our Minds To Yours

Got into DE9 musically about 3 years after buying it and appreciating
it's technological prowess immediately

Then there's Spastik

This: http://www.discogs.com/release/75030

And his mix on this! http://www.discogs.com/release/29578

The fact is, I could go on.

Now that's quite a list and quite a lot from a self-confessed
Richie-baiter like me!

The fact that a large swathe of projects he has either promoted or
actually produced have been pants (imo) doesn't take away from his
talent in making modern electronic music. Having talent in 'MEM' is not
the same as what 'musical talent' might have meant up till about the
latter part of the 20th Century, perhaps. But there's no doubt that he's
got it.

Much as I'm somewhat irritated by his near-omnipresence in our world and the naffness of a lot of m_nus records, I have to give credit where it's
due.

Anybody else?

Ken