David,
David Adams wrote a tech note about hashing and provided several
variations. Depending on your needs you may find a solution there.
Especially if you are looking for a checksum-type hash to identify changes
in the documents.

http://kb.4d.com/assetid=41107

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 7:08 AM, David Belote <dbel...@transformatic.com>
wrote:

> What is the maximum file size that the “Generate digest” command can
> process when computing an MD5 checksum?
>

> In my app, I want to allow the user to generate an MD5 checksum on any
> file of their choosing.  The Generate digest command blows up with a “-108
> Not enough space in memory error” when I try to generate an MD5 checksum on
> large files.  If I can find out what the maximum file size that Generate
> digest can process, I can write an If check to keep the file from
> processing and just inform the user that the file is too large to process.
> It would also be useful to know what the file size limits are for SHA-1.
>

> Thanks,
>

> David Belote
>
> Colorado Springs

Kirk Brooks