Jeff,
I vote for bug. Though it could be it's 2 different errors as far as 4D is
concerned with a compiler error tripping first which doesn't show up
interpreted.

I've noticed -1 being returned as an error code for a really wide range of
errors. Or, it's a case like this where the compiler trips before the
actual coding error does. It makes it harder to figure out nonetheless.

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 7:06 AM, Jeffrey Kain via 4D_Tech <
4d_tech@lists.4d.com> wrote:

> The following behaves differently in interpreted vs. compiled:
>
>   C_OBJECT($oResponse)
>   C_TEXT($tResponse)
>
>   ON ERR CALL("ErrHandler")
>   $tResponse:="False"
>   $oResponse:=JSON Parse($tResponse)
>   ON ERR CALL("")
>
> In interpreted mode, the error handler catches an Error value of 54, and
> $oResponse is undefined.
>
> In compiled mode, the error handler catches an Error value of -1, and then
> 4D throws a runtime error dialog on the screen for JSON Parse ("Attempting
> to retype by using a pointer.") even though an ON ERR CALL is still in
> effect.
>
> If I change the JSON Parse line to:
>
>   $oResponse:=JSON Parse($tResponse;Is object)
>
> ... then 4D behaves the same in interpreted and compiled. Both catch an
> error of -1 in the error handler and no runtime error is generated.
>
> Feature or bug?
>
> --
> Jeffrey Kain
> jeffrey.k...@gmail.com