Hi All,

The mystery opening the listbox demo database is solved. Apparently, the
database I downloaded was set to open compiled by default, or my 4D
installation must have a preference setting to that effect. The solution was to
first open the 4D software, then navigate to the .db file, and then select the
interpreted option from the dropdown menu in the lower right corner.

Thank you Miyako and everyone for all your patience and responses.

Michael