<4d_tech@lists.4d.com>
Date: Friday, 14 June 2019 at 15:46
Cc: Jim Crate <j...@quevivadev.com>
Subject: Re: v15 to v17 Conversion of Obsolete _o_C_STRING/_o_ARRAY STRING
Commands

    On Jun 7, 2019, at 8:48 AM, Narinder Chandi via 4D_Tech
<4d_tech@lists.4d.com> wrote:

    > Hi all. I am migrating a v15 database to v17, 4D Server running on Mac. I
need some opinions as to what to do with regards to converting commands marked
as obsolete as per this article:
    [snip]
    > I have searched the archives on this topic but opinions seem to be
divided on whether or not to do this conversion? Perhaps I am mistaken, but I
am of the opinion that it will have to be done sooner or later as 4D reserves
the right to remove obsoleted commands and will eventually do so?

    > TL;DR the options are:
    > 1. Replace
    > 2. Do nothing for v17

    Is there anything wrong with option 2, and just fixing these as you update
the code around them? The commands still work in v17, even subtables still seem
to work. I may replace the subtable this time around just because it’s only
used a couple places and it’s a convenient time to change the structure.

    My personal approach with 4D is to wait until I have to touch working code,
since perhaps by the time the commands don’t work there will be language
enhancements that make me want to touch the code.

    Jim Crate