From: 4D_Tech <4d_tech-boun...@lists.4d.com> on behalf of Charles Miller via
4D_Tech <4d_tech@lists.4d.com>
Date: Friday, 7 June 2019 at 20:23
To: 4D iNug Technical <4d_tech@lists.4d.com>
Cc: Charles Miller <miller.c...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: v15 to v17 Conversion of Obsolete _o_C_STRING/_o_ARRAY STRING
Commands

    There’s code that will convert all in one fell swoop. It puts comments at
    end please advise if you want it and I will forward

    Regards
    Chuck

https://doc.4d.com/4Dv15/4D/15/Deprecated-or-removed-features-in-v15-product-range.200-2063067.en.html

    > I have been addressing them by theme, and in some cases the conversion is
    > straight forward, e.g. _o_ENABLE BUTTON/_o_DISABLE BUTTON is replaced by
    > OBJECT SET ENABLED whilst some others can be removed completely, e.g.
    > _o_REDRAW LIST.
    >
    > I am now looking at how to deal with the obsolete Compiler theme commands
    > _o_C_INTEGER, _o_C_STRING and _o_ARRAY STRING.
    >
    > _o_C_INTEGER I have simply replaced with C_LONGINT as the docs state that
    > "...4D and the compiler retype Integers into Longints internally."
    >
    > However, I am conflicted as to how best to deal with _o_C_STRING and
    > _o_ARRAY STRING which are replaced by C_TEXT and ARRAY TEXT respectively.
    > The docs state "The operation of the [_o_C_STRING/_o_ARRAY STRING] command
    > is strictly identical to that of the [C_TEXT/ARRAY TEXT]". Of course the
    > string length parameter in the obsoleted commands makes the conversion
    > non-trivial and code will need to reviewed for any functional regressions,
    > e.g. in relation to database fields of type String where the length can
    > still be defined (auto-truncation may not be the desired/intended
    > behaviour!).
    >
    > I have searched the archives on this topic but opinions seem to be divided
    > on whether or not to do this conversion? Perhaps I am mistaken, but I am
of
    > the opinion that it will have to be done sooner or later as 4D reserves
the
    > right to remove obsoleted commands and will eventually do so?
    >
    > TL;DR the options are:
    > 1. Replace
    > 2. Do nothing for v17
    >
    > Thoughts?
    >
    > I will deal with my questions and options regarding Subrecords in a
    > separate email!
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Narinder Chandi,
    > ToolBox Systems Ltd.
    > --

     Chuck Miller Voice: (617) 739-0306 Fax: (617) 232-1064
     Informed Solutions, Inc.
           Providers of 4D, Sybase & SQL Server connectivity
              http://www.informed-solutions.com

    This message and any attached documents contain information which may be
    confidential, subject to privilege or exempt from disclosure under
    applicable law.  These materials are intended only for the use of the
    intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of this
    transmission, you are hereby notified that any distribution, disclosure,
    printing, copying, storage, modification or the taking of any action in
    reliance upon this transmission is strictly prohibited.  Delivery of this
    message to any person other than the intended recipient shall not
    compromise or waive such confidentiality, privilege or exemption
    from disclosure as to this communication.