2009/8/7 Roman Shaposhnik <r...@sun.com>:
> On Aug 6, 2009, at 1:08 PM, Anselm R Garbe wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I revived the 9base project which was asleep for nearly 3 years som
>> days ago and created a new version based on Russ' plan9port from
>> 20090731. You can download it from:
>>
>>  http://code.suckless.org/dl/tools/9base-3.tar.gz
>>
>> its project page can be found at:
>>
>>  http://tools.suckless.org/9base
>>
>> and you can also clone it using mercurial as follow:
>>
>>  hg clone http://hg.suckless.org/9base
>
> So, is this just a slimmer version of plan9port?

It's just yacc, rc and several shell commands for scripting, so it can
be used if you prefer a plan 9 userland when writing shell scripts.
Also 9base can be build using posix make(1). Initially I created it
because we wrote several shell scripts for wmii
(http://wmii.suckless.org), the reason for reviving it is basically
werc (http://werc.cat-v.org). I simply didn't want to install full
featured plan9port on a server to just run werc, 9base is ideal in
such cases. It's just 35kSLOC (in contrast to the 500+kSLOC of
plan9port), hence smaller than bash for instance, but including all
dependencies.

All kudos go to Russ for his excellent plan9port work though.

Kind regards,
Anselm