I only want to point out that OS X has had an option for case sensitive
versions of the HFS+ file system for some time now. See the "Volume Format"
popup under the "Erase" tab of the "Disk Utility" program.

I have used it for untaring of linux and plan9 source code. It seems to work
and I don't think there is much downside to using it, although I am not sure I
would format my system partition that way.

I have seen a few programs that had some dependency on case insensitivity but
it was sometime ago and I don't remember the specifics except a vague memory
that it was an Adobe application. I believe it was a coding error that was
unmasked because a filename had case differences in different parts of the
program.

Best,

leb