I haven't used the tarball in years because I simply find hg more
convenient, but a few times when I have recommended somebody to
install p9p they have complained about problems unpacking the tarball,
I just tell them to do a fresh hg checkout instead, and that usually
works for them. Maybe they are simply confused by whatever errors gnu
tar spews for who knows what reason, but people that have no problems
with other tarballs do have problems with the p9p tarballs, and it has
been going on for a while.

uriel