On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 01:39:00 -0700
Russ Cox <r...@swtch.com> wrote:

> Thanks, but I'm happy with the current tar files.
> They are a working CVS checkout, so that
> people who use them can then use the recipes
> in cvs(1) [9 man cvs] to update their trees.
> The one you linked to is not a working anything checkout.
> I haven't touched the tar file generation in over a year
> so "work and trouble" is quite the exaggeration.
>
> I have changed the script that generates the tar files
> to use the Plan 9 tar.  Now there will be no SCHILY.*
> extensions for GNU tar to whine about.  Maybe that
> will kill off this myth.
>
> Russ

I usually blame distro patching, perhaps unfairly but I have had quite a
bit of bother from distro patches. I haven't had any trouble unpacking
p9p on source mage or debian, and looking through source mage 'spell'
history I found gnu tar did need a patch for security reasons a couple of
years ago. Perhaps some distro used a more agressive patch & never removed
it.

--
Ethan Grammatikidis

Those who are slower at parsing information must
necessarily be faster at problem-solving.