On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 09:25:36 CDT Eric Van Hensbergen <eri...@gmail.com>  wrote:

> Why not have a synthetic file system interface to ndb that allows it
> to update its own files?  I think this is my primary problem.
> Granular modification to static files is a PITA to manage -- we should
> be using synthetic file system interfaces to to help manage and gate
> modifications.  Most of the services I have in mind may be transient
> and task specific, so there are elements of scope to consider and you
> may not want to write anything out to static storage.

ndb maps directly to a list of lisp's association lists but
how would you map this to a synthetic fs? Something like
<attr>/<value> to yield a tuple? For example:

% cat ndb/ip/198.41.0.4 # same as ndbquery ip 198.41.0.4
dom=A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ip=198.41.0.4
% cat ndb/dom/A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
dom=A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ip=198.41.0.4

But this is nasty!
% cat ndb/dom/'' # same as ndbquery dom ''
dom= ns=A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ns=B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ns=C.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
ns=D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ns=E.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ns=F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
ns=G.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ns=H.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ns=I.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
ns=J.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ns=K.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ns=L.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
ns=M.ROOT-SERVERS.NET

And it is not clear how you would map
% ndbquery attr value rattr ...

Another alternative is to map each tuple to a directory:
% ls ndb/dom/A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET # just show the attributes!
dom ip

% grep '' ndb/dom/A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET/*
dom:A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
ip:198.41.0.4

An intriguing idea that can point toward a synth fs interface
to a dbms or search results....  But I don't think this would
be a lightweight interface.