> > i can see in principle how this could be a good idea (no more
> > comments, though).  could you elaborate, though.  i have found
> > editing /lib/ndb/local works well at the scales i see.
[...]
> machines, even with multiple admins.  I have a feeling it starts to
> break down with thousands of machines, particularly in an environment
> where machines are appearing and disappearing at regular intervals
> (clouds, HPC partitioning, or Blue Gene).  Hundreds of thousands of
> nodes with this sort of behavior probably makes it impractical.  Of
> course -- this won't effect the casual user, but its something that
> effects us.

so plunkers like us with a few hundred machines are just "casual users"?
i'd hate for plan 9 to become harder to use outside a hpc environment.
it would be good to be flexable enough to support fairly degnerate cases
like just flat files.

> > i also don't know what you mean by "transient, task specific services".
> > i can only think of things like ramfs or cdfs.  but they live in my
> > namespace so ndb doesn't enter into the picture.
> >

> There is the relatively mundane configuration examples of publishing
> multiple file servers, authentication servers, and cpu servers.

how many file servers and authentication servers are you running?