> Of course.  My use of DNS was really just in abstract to refer to the
> suite of existing services for name and service resolution under Plan
> 9.  However, I think the current interfaces for ndb and cs are very
> limiting and the single file based query mechanisms don't really match
> the hierarchical style of the rest of the system.  If there is a
> masters project in here, its to look at a revision of the whole suite
> and extension of the relevant file system based interfaces.  The other
> side of this is then to integrate this new service

i definately think there's room for improvement, but
i would hate for ndb to morph into the windows registry.

the main situation where ndb is weak is when there are rapid changes.
otherwise ndb/cs and ndb/mkhash should make it unnecessary to scan whole
files.

given the database= option, if one could confine rapid changes to
smaller files, one could teach ndb to only reread changed files.

> registration/discovery mechanism to existing applications.  When I
> export, a flag should make that export visible to zeroconf resolution,
> etc.

what do you mean by export?