> I've done it a few ways. echo commit > /n/db/0/ctl is kind of where one
> ends up
>
> for my limbo postgres module I never got round to the fs part. i just
> wrap the sql bits in their own adt

i would think that rather than use an adt, one would want
to make the language the communication's protocol.  it
seems so straightforward to just send formatted sql or
pl/sql to the engine and get normally formatted output.
one could just con to the engine and type away for testing.

even if you've degenerated the fs to a pipe like /net/tcp/nn,
it's still quite useful to see who is connected and you can import
the connection easily.

this isn't too far from what sql*net does, except they need
to deal with sockets.  they may also do wierd formatting of
the data stream.