erik quanstrom <quans...@quanstro.net> writes:

> On Fri Mar 18 22:48:04 EDT 2011, cinap_len...@gmx.de wrote:
>
>> check the output of cat /dev/sdC0/ctl for lba48always.
>>
>> i have it enabled on my t23 because i got i/o erros (on a particular
>> block number that i forgot...  it was reproducable) if its off.
>
> i don't really think this is the problem, since a dd on the whole
> disk worked.

In the interest of full disclosure, that "dd" was done under Linux.  It
was a "dd if=" rather than a "dd -if".  However, I just re-ran the dd
from the Plan 9 installer, using the Plan 9 dd to read the entire
partition and zero the entire partition.  Neither the read nor write
returned any errors.  This is with NO lba48always in cat /dev/sdC0/ctl.

My next step will be to attempt a fossil-only install.  If that doesn't
generate these kinds of errors, at least we'll know the problem is
venti's work.

Has anyone looked at the "prep" layout in the install transcript I
bastebin'd?  Does it look sane?

I really wish I understood how these file servers worked... I would be
able to debug this by myself.  Alas, Plan 9 is a network operating
system.  So, I suppose it's only natural that troubleshooting be
networked, too.  ;)

|E-Mail: smi...@zenzebra.mv.com             PGP key ID: BC549F8B|
|Fingerprint: 9329 DB4A 30F5 6EDA D2BA  3489 DAB7 555A BC54 9F8B|