erik quanstrom <quans...@quanstro.net> writes:

> there are a number of differences.  here are a few that spring
> to mind as important
> - the kernel in the cd is different,
> - it uses a different plan9.ini file, and
> - dma is setup after booting.

> could try putting ftp://ftp.quanstro.net/other/9pcf.gz in your 9fat,
> replacing your current kernel, and setting the plan9.ini varaible
> "*sdC0dma=on".

That did it.  To test the theory that PIO was the problematic variable,
I tried booting the installer with DMA *off*.  Neither the fossil or
fossil+venti installs would complete without reporting HDD errors.  So,
I plopped your 9pcf.gz on 9fat, and set *sdC0dma=on.  Now, a
fossil+venti is running without any apparent problems.  :) :)

As a workaround, I tried putting "echo dma on > /dev/sdC0/ctl" in
termrc.  This was sufficient to keep a fossil-only install from failing.
But, even *with* this workaround, a fossil+venti install would still
return i/o errors.  That's probably because fossil calls venti before
init calls termrc.  Even wrapping init in a shell script probably
wouldn't get DMA turned on soon enough to make venti happy, but your
kernel did the trick.

Here's the workaround I used:

  # install Plan 9
  user[none]: sys
  # rio fails to start
  echo dma on > /dev/sdC0/ctl # run this command immediately!
  cd /rc/bin
  mv termrc termrc.was
  cat > termrc
  #!/bin/rc
  echo dma on > /dev/sdC0/ctl
  ^D
  cat termrc.was >> termrc
  diff termrc.was termrc
  # confirm the edit before removing termrc.was!
  rm termrc.was
  fshalt

That seemed to work for a fossil-only system.  But that 9pcf.gz was
necessary to make venti happy.

Reading fossil(4), fossilcons(8), and boot(8) really helped to get a
good understanding of how the file system is set up at boot.  venti(6)
and venti(8) provided a good overview of venti.  One gotcha, though: you
have to read con(1) to find out you can quit fossilcons with control-\

Thanks for the help!

|E-Mail: smi...@zenzebra.mv.com             PGP key ID: BC549F8B|
|Fingerprint: 9329 DB4A 30F5 6EDA D2BA  3489 DAB7 555A BC54 9F8B|