On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 8:59 AM, erik quanstrom <quans...@quanstro.net> wrote:

> this is the whole point of the big allocation, so why
> would we drag this into plan 9, when it's not necessary.
> the plan 9 heap is contiguous.

Sorry, Erik, I misunderstood your point.

I guess what you are pointing out is that on Plan 9, presumably, since
the Go runtime is the only thing that might call brk(), it will always
get a virtually contiguous heap. Therefore, instead of a huge upfront
allocation, Go runtime could call brk() as needed.

Can we safely assume that only the Go runtime will call brk()? What if
we link a library into Go that calls brk() as well -- won't that
violate Go's model? Probably not worth worrying about since Russ says
he's good with the other change.

thanks

ron