> Sorry, Erik, I misunderstood your point.

no need to be sorry.

> I guess what you are pointing out is that on Plan 9, presumably, since
> the Go runtime is the only thing that might call brk(), it will always
> get a virtually contiguous heap. Therefore, instead of a huge upfront
> allocation, Go runtime could call brk() as needed.
>
> Can we safely assume that only the Go runtime will call brk()? What if
> we link a library into Go that calls brk() as well -- won't that
> violate Go's model? Probably not worth worrying about since Russ says
> he's good with the other change.

i didn't think of that, but i wouldn't think one would
want to do that.  the effort, say, to glue ndb structures
into go's world would seem on par with rewriting the library.
and it would be a great oppertunity to clean up some crunch.

one big challenge in gluing in c libraries is that you
couldn't easily pass any sort of pointer back in from c.
it would break the gc.