Atte writes:
| On Thu, 23 May 2002, John Walsh wrote:
| <snip>
| > E.g., the drum clef could
| > even use "x" for the note-heads and "*" for invisible rests...if they're
| > needed. It won't break any existing tunes, since no-one has used the drum
| > clef yet.
|
| Possible, but IMHO ugly...

You're right; 'x' would be the best symbol.  With the  5-line  staff,
you'd still want to use A-Ga-g for the notes, to get the positioning.
But you'd need a way of saying to draw the note head as an 'x' rather
than  an  oval,  and 'x' is the obvious way to do this.  John Walsh's
suggestion that K:perc (or maybe K:clef=perc) trigger  a  mapping  of
'x'  to this use is probably a good one.  There isn't much use of 'x'
as a non-printing rest (yet).

Would you want to use a non-printing rest in a drum part?  If so,  we
might  want to discuss what do do with this use of 'x'.  It might not
be too late to change it. I've wondered if a better solution might be
to  have  a general "don't print the next symbol" modifier.  Some abc
programs already use [|] for a non-printing bar line.  If we were to,
say, adopt 'i' (for "invisible") as a modifier, then x becomes iz and
[|] becomes i|, and we can then use x for other purposes. I can think
of  a  few  other situations where we might like to have something in
the abc that would be played but not displayed.

Also, I wonder about trying to do a 5-line perc staff as a single abc
voice Does this actually work reasonably well? I'd think you'd have a
lot of the same sort of problems as with keyboard music in abc.   The
basic  problem  is that a drum kit and a keyboard both tend to have a
lot of little "voices" that appear and  disappear,  and  abc  has  no
simple way to show this.

A simple example for keyboards is a held note or  chord,  as  [B4D4],
and  while  this is held, you have G2F in a subsidiary voice starting
on count 2. This is easy to draw on a staff, and easy for one hand to
play  on  a  keyboard.  But how do you write it in abc?  The simplest
seems to be something like:
  [V:1] ... [B4D4] ...
  [V:2] ...  xG2F  ...

With a drum kit, I'd think you would run into a lot of problems  like
this,  since  each  line  really is a different "voice", and they can
easily do things that overlap.

But I suppose a bit of thought could usually reduce the drum part  to
only two or three "voices", so it wouldn't be that bad.  This is what
you have to do with keyboard music.