On Fri, 24 May 2002, John Chambers wrote:

<snip>
> John Walsh's
> suggestion that K:perc (or maybe K:clef=perc) trigger  a  mapping  of
> 'x'  to this use is probably a good one.  There isn't much use of 'x'
> as a non-printing rest (yet).

Not? I think the exact same reasons for using them in tuned parts apply in
percussion...

> Would you want to use a non-printing rest in a drum part?  If so,  we
> might  want to discuss what do do with this use of 'x'.  It might not
> be too late to change it.

I'd much prefer changing the meaning of x, (although that would break 99
of my abc) over a quick'n'ugly fix like I still think it would be to have
x mean somethin else in percussion clef. I mean *I* could probably
remember to use it, but don't we all want a language that's as straight
fwd as possible?

> I've wondered if a better solution might be
> to  have  a general "don't print the next symbol" modifier.  Some abc
> programs already use [|] for a non-printing bar line.  If we were to,
> say, adopt 'i' (for "invisible") as a modifier,

Ok, with me. Much better than x=?

> With a drum kit, I'd think you would run into a lot of problems  like
> this,  since  each  line  really is a different "voice", and they can
> easily do things that overlap.

On the other hand drum notes are not that held, are thay :-) I think what
ever I could possible imagine would be possible in abcm2ps with the extra
noteheads + clef. I already did a few polyphonic settings, and it's not
that difficult...
--
love, peace & harmony
Atte