Laurie writes:
| > ...  I wonder how long it
| > would take to hack this into your typical abc2ps formatter?
|
| Well as Muse already has diamond, cross square (oh, and the usual ellipse)
| for note heads, the answer is about minus three years for the formatting,
| GUI editing, printing, etc.

;-)

| For the playing - that might be a mess.  Is there a *generally* *agreed*
| meaning for these things? or is each drummer going to want it to look and
| play *his* (or her) way?

What I think Atte was hinting at is that it might not take  all  that
much  extending.   Drummers have basically adapted conventional staff
notation for their own purposes, and haven't made very  many  changes
to  the symbols.  The motive for doing this is obvious.  The printing
industry has a lot invested in conventional music notation.  Drummers
give  some  symbols  a slightly different interpretation, but you can
say the same about other instrumentalists.  Most  of  this  could  be
handled  naturally within abc by using a percussion clef as a sign to
reset a lot of defaults.

Another thing that already has precedent in abc is a staff with other
than  5 lines.  Someone (I wonder who ;-) has already implemented the
medieval 4-line staff.  This could be generalized easily within  abc,
by  something like "clef=perc lines=2".  The "lines=" clause would be
generally useful for a number of other  kinds  of  notation.   If  we
combine  this  with the "middle=" clause that maps abc's letter notes
to the staff, we have a quite general way of defining  the  displayed
staff and where to draw the notes. (For even-lined staffs, the middle
note would be mapped to the middle space, of course.)

If we add to this a set of modifiers saying how to draw  note  heads,
we'd  have a general notation that could represent all sorts of music
notation.  We might want to get together a  list  of  kinds  of  note
heads,  and  give  them !...! symbols.  We could then use some simple
macros to map them to however many 1-char modifiers we like.  And  we
could define a few "clef=" terms that load a set of such macros.

This doesn't seem like all that big a deal.  ABC is pretty  close  to
what we want already.