The attitude that I take in Muse is that Muse does beaming automatically, so
I disregard the beaming information in the ABC.  I can argue both sides of
this, but the argument for this action is that fundamentally ABC is about
describing the music, not the printed page.  What Muse does is to
*translate* ABC into staff notation and in doing so makes a great many
decisions (relative spacing of notes, margins, vertical alignment of the
different voices, how far apart and how thick to draw the lines of the
staff, how thick are leger lines, etc. etc. and finally, which notes to
beam.  In fact I've just been rewriting the beaming engine in Muse and it
seems to me that trying to express beaming in ABC in all but the simplest
cases is impossible.

For instance consider even [GB]A and I want the G and A to be beamed but the
B to be a separate flag.  Or if you think you can solve that one ( perhaps
[B G]A ) then how about [BG] [AF] and I want the B to be beamed with the A,
tails up  and the G with the F, tails down.

It can get much, much worse than this.  Get a Messiah choral score and look
at the accompianist's(*) part for "Surely He hath borne our griefs".  A
solution is probably to use V: and recognise that these are separate voices
(and Frank, for one, can supply very complex examples).

In general I think the attitude of programs should be that where the ABC
cannot be directly expressed in the new notation it is to be *translated*
into some equivalent.  In just the same way, when translating English into
American "don't play the fool" goes across directly but "stop buggering
about" doesn't and "let's table this proposal" needs a complete rewrite.

So, yes. A4- AA or perhaps A4-A A

Laurie
(*) It started as a misprint, but was too good to waste.