From: "Jack Campin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 3:42 PM
Subject: Re: [abcusers] Question about rhythm notation

> The attitude that I take in Muse is that Muse does beaming automatically,
> so I disregard the beaming information in the ABC.  I can argue both
> sides of this, but the argument for this action is that fundamentally
> ABC is about describing the music, not the printed page.

Beaming is in the standard, though, and for vocal scores it does convey
musical information; you beam notes that go on the same syllable, not
otherwise.

> it seems to me that trying to express beaming in ABC in all but the
> simplest cases is impossible.
> For instance consider even [GB]A and I want the G and A to be beamed
> but the B to be a separate flag.  Or if you think you can solve that
> one (perhaps [B G]A) then how about [BG] [AF] and I want the B to be
> beamed with the A, tails up  and the G with the F, tails down.

You can do those in BarFly by putting the notes with different stem
directions into different voices and telling the program to merge
them.  Usually it works, but you can end up with some rather odd
"voices" that way.  And since there's no way to change the number in
mid-tune, if you need five voices at any point of the tune they have
to be there from beginning to end; this looks weird with some early
music where chords are used only sporadically in a basically monophonic
texture.

I think you could represent any piano score in BarFly using 176 voices;
two voices for each key, one for each stem direction.  Like an ASCII
player piano roll.  You'd need an Apple Cinema Display to edit it.