Frank Nordberg writes:
| John Chambers wrote:
| > Hey, folks, here's a wonderful new addition to the  ongoing
| > issue of copyrights and the recording industry:
| >
| >   http://www.independent.co.uk/story.jsp?story=307449
| >
| > (Maybe we need an abc transcription  of  Mike  Batt's  "One
| > Minute's  Silence"  to  go with the version of Cage's 4'33"
| > that's already online.)
|
| It's 4'11", John, not 4'33" !!!!  ;-)

Hmmm ...  I seem to see both of them in widespread use.  Maybe  there
are differences in performance practices?

| Anyways, if Cage's publishers actually are suing people for this, maybe
| I should remove the tune from Musica Viva...

It seems that the letter that Batt received didn't actually  threaten
prosecution.   It's highly likely this was all done in the "John Cage
spirit".  I'd bet that they're all having a good laugh  at  the  news
coverage. Most of the discussion I've seen of it has also been in the
spirit of the original "work".

Thus, one comment observed that the Cage estate has good  ground  for
complaint.   By  reducing  Cage's work to a mere 60 seconds, Batt has
either radically abridged it, or is  performing  it  more  than  four
times  faster  than  was intended.  Either is a radical modification,
without permission, of the "original" composition.

Others have pointed out that there is a  long  history  of  composers
taking  some  thematic  material and writing "Variations on a them by
..." works.  This is considered an honor, not theft.  It's clear that
Batt  was  really  honoring  Cage's  memory  by  taking  the thematic
material and writing his own composition based on  it.   And  if  you
listen  to recordings of both works as the composers intended, you'll
clearly hear that they are very different.

Another suggestion was that the "blank media" royalties for blank CDs
and  tapes  should  all  go to the John Cage estate, because they are
clearly unauthorized recordings of his famous work.

Yet another remarked that Cage's work was one of the  catchier  songs
of all time.  "It keeps getting stuck in my head ..."

I've wondered if we should ask permission for an abc transcription of
Cage's work.  There's a certain surrealistic fun to the thought.

I did post a reply to the topic at slashdot.org, describing a program
that  I  found  back  in  the 80's, when AT&T owned the rights to the
"unix" trademark.  It was the /bin/true program, which  merely  exits
with  a  successful  status.   This  seems  silly, but it's useful in
various scripting languages when the syntax requires the  name  of  a
program but you don't actually need anything done at that point.  The
traditional version of this was an empty file, which has the  correct
behavior.   In the Sys/V version, it wasn't empty.  It consisted of a
blank line - and an AT&T copyright notice.

Now, it's obvious how this happened.  But I had a bit of fun starting
some  discussions  by  posting  this program ("in its entirety") to a
number of newsgroups and mailing lists.  I openly admitted that I was
intentionally  violating  AT&T's  copyright claim, and invited AT&T's
lawyers to prosecute me.  We had fun discussing whether we should  be
stripping  all  the  blank lines out of all programs, so as not to be
subject to an AT&T lawsuit. And did the copyright apply only to blank
lines in shell scripts? To all scripts? To all programming languages?
To all documents?  To all printed books?

We never got an explanation from AT&T's lawyers on any of these vital
legal  points.   We tried really hard to get AT&T to sue us, but they
just ignored us.  So the legal questions are still open.

Maybe John Cage's estate could actually instigate a lawsuit, so as to
get the courts to make a clear decision about such idiocies.  I'd bet
that Cage would have approved of this.

This isn't entirely fun and games. There's a lawsuit in the works now
over the package called "Lindows".  Microsoft has sued them, claiming
that it's too close to "Windows", and Microsoft owns  the  rights  to
that  word.   If  they win, they'll probably next sue everyone who is
using the words "Personal" and "Computer" in any product name.

OTOH, the folks who make BeOS say they're  suing  Microsoft,  because
the Windows "Me" edition differs from "Be" by only one letter, and is
thus a clear trademark infringement.