From: "Jack Campin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, July 05, 2002 2:01 PM
Subject: Re: [abcusers] The (illegal) sounds of silence

>X:814
>T:4'11"
>C:John Cage
>O:USA
>%http://www.musicaviva.com/abc/tunes/cage-john/4-11.abc
>%Posted Aug 9th 1999 at abcusers by Laurie Griffiths in an attempt to
>%introduce some serious music to the list. Proofread by Phil Taylor
>M:none
>Q:1/8=60
>K:Abm
>z251|]

Wrong, all wrong.  Not only is it 4' 33", but a practical performance
would be a bit longer; there are three movements, with the usual
inter-movement things (tuning up, etc) between them.  You have to use
the P: construct or present it as three separate tunes.

I've only seen it performed once, by the Whistlebinkies during Cage's
visit to Glasgow in 1991.  They did all the usual hoisting fiddle onto
shoulders, tucking bagpipes in position and getting set with the bodhran
stuff.  If I remember right, they used a different placement of the
players round the hall for each movement.

It's about the right length to enter in a fiddle competition as a
march, strathspey and reel set.

To subscribe/unsubscribe, point your browser to:
http://www.tullochgorm.com/lists.html