I must admit that I like Buddha Buck's idea the best.
I'd like to suggest a small modification in case someone ever needs a subdivision of the whole tone smaller than 1/8.
1. The step size should be defined in a special field in analogy to the default fraction specified in the L: field (as Irwin Oppenheim suggested)
2. _# and _## resp. ^# and ^## should denote step sizes in respect to the default fraction
3. _### or ^### should denote deviations in cent (with a leading 0). Example: ^098A.
These deviations should be printed above the notes (without leading 0) just like chord symbols (this is standard in some microtonal literature).

Please let me know what you think.

Regards,

Georg

On Thursday, June 26, 2003, at 12:10 AM, I. Oppenheim wrote:

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, John Chambers wrote:

Buddha Buck writes:
| Georg Hajdu wrote:
| Actually, I could suggest another notation: _#C, where # is a single
| digit, means flatting C by that many eighth-tones. For finer control,
| _##C, where ## is a pair of digits, means flattening C by that many
| cents, or 100ths of a semitone. ^#C and ^##C have analogous
| defintions, but sharpening instead.

Or, to be consistent with the rest of abc, we could just put a length
after an accidental. So _2/3A would be an A that is flatted 2/3 of a

The _# notation is already consistent with the rest of
ABC. See, note lengths are always given relative to the
default fraction specified in the L: field. The default
fraction of the _# notation just happens to be an
1/8th.

Wouldn't a resolution of an 1/8th note be sufficient
for musical notation?

Groeten,
Irwin Oppenheim
[EMAIL PROTECTED]