On Thursday, July 3, 2003, at 06:43 AM, Bernard Hill wrote:
So what encourages the developer to develop code if there is no payment
to the developer?

Why are there amateur musicians who perform without being paid for it?

* Playing music is fun, payment or not.
* They want to compose their own music that they'll like better than existing compositions.
* They want to perform with their friends.
* Or, they want to perform *for* their friends.
* Members of the appropriate sex like musicians.

So, similarly with programming:

* Programming is fun.
* Existing programs may not do what I want, so I'll write my own.
* Collaborating with other programmers is fun.
* Since I've written the code, why not give it away in case someone else finds it useful?
* Here the analogy suddenly breaks down.

--amk