In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, A.M. Kuchling
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>On Thursday, July 3, 2003, at 06:43  AM, Bernard Hill wrote:
>> So what encourages the developer to develop code if there is no payment
>> to the developer?
>
>Why are there amateur musicians who perform without being paid for it?

Because they have other jobs.

Why are there no professional musicians who perform without being paid
for it?

>* Playing music is fun, payment or not.

It can be quite tedious at times, for professionals...

>* They want to compose their own music that they'll like better than
>existing compositions.
>* They want to perform with their friends.
>* Or, they want to perform *for* their friends.
>* Members of the appropriate sex like musicians.
>
>So, similarly with programming:
>
>* Programming is fun.

Not when you do it for a living.

>* Existing programs may not do what I want, so I'll write my own.
>* Collaborating with other programmers is fun.
>* Since I've written the code, why not give it away in case someone
>else finds it useful?
>* Here the analogy suddenly breaks down.

I'm not an amateur: I live 100% on my programming skills (and marketing
and customer support and office cleaning and and and)

Music Publisher would not exist if I did not get income from it. It is
my *sole* source of income - I am not retired, I do not get a pension,
or any allowance or have any other job at all. This is my life. If I
give it away I stop developing it because I have to go back to work.

Isn't this completely obvious?

Bernard Hill
Braeburn Software
Author of Music Publisher system
Music Software written by musicians for musicians
http://www.braeburn.co.uk
Selkirk, Scotland