Bernard Hill writes:
| In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes
| >while I'm one man in my back bedroom, the odd glitch might slip through.
|
| Yes. Of course I am in the same position.
|
| I've tried using beta testers but they are rarely fierce enough.
|
| So I fix bugs free and within hours normally: and the customers get a
| free and immediate upgrade.

That's one of the main  reasons  that  both  shareware  and
open-source  software  are usually superior to what the big
companies produce.  That, plus the fact that the developers
are usually also expert users.

Recently, there have been a lot of discussions of the  fact
that commercial software is usually so crappy compared with
what the "nobodies" produce.  I've never thought there  was
any mystery there at all.  In almost all corporate software
development projects, I've been purposely  kept  away  from
the users.  It's obvious to me what the result will be.