In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, John Chambers
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

>Anyway, I think that dance musicians usually really like  having  the
>phrases  aligned  this  way,  but  most other musicians don't see the
>benefit (and some vehemently dislike it).

I transcribe quite a few tunes for Scottish Pipes and I find they
generally want equal-spaced barlines and 4 to a line.

My books on notation say this should never be done. If the barlines are
in line on 2 consecutive staves then they should be artificially
displaced to make reading easier.

But once you realise that pipers *memorise* music then it becomes
obvious why they prefer it: and the same I guess goes for many other
musicians who do not sight-read the music in normal performance.

Bernard Hill
Braeburn Software
Author of Music Publisher system
Music Software written by musicians for musicians
http://www.braeburn.co.uk
Selkirk, Scotland