[abcm2ps's !...! construct]
>>  So, why not pick a symbol other than "!" for the latter usage?
>> "*" seems ideal, and quite logical, too: in emails, IRC, etc.,
>> it is commonly used to boldface or emote something.
> My first reaction is that" ! " is better, since in !ppp! it is
> used as a delimiter, and delimiters are tall and skinny, while
> " * " is short and fat.

It's tall and skinny shape is exactly why I want ! to stay as the
linebreak character.  Look at the examples I posted; the reason it
works so well to aid readability there is that it's so easy to
ignore it when reading the score directly in ABC.  Since it has
nothing whatever to do with the musical content, direct reading
is precisely when it's most important to have an almost invisible
symbol.

Again: show me a score written for processing by abcm2ps that was
written with any attention whatever to source readability.  If you
simply don't care how headache-inducing your source is, why should
you insist on any specific lexicon?