On Sat, 2003-07-05 at 19:21, I. Oppenheim wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Jul 2003, John Walsh wrote:
>
> >     My first reaction is that" ! " is better, since in !ppp! it is
> > used as a delimiter, and delimiters are tall and skinny, while " * " is
> > short and fat.
>
> This is also my fealing. I'd rather make "*" the
> linebreaking command; also not ideal but still better
> than having two stars next to each other.
>
> So if "*" serves as the !break! command, what symbol
> could we use for the !nobreak! command that was
> proposed by Laura?

Well...but unfortunately, my point was that "!" is already the de facto
line breaking character.  It was introduced by abc2win very long ago,
and like it or not, it is in fact in very wide use in a large corpus of
tunes that are already on the web, that we are unable to change.
Therefore, I don't think we can really change the line breaking
character.  However, we have free rein in what we choose for the symbol
delimiter character, because it is (comparatively) not in wide usage yet
and existing users, like me, can change their files.  I'm open to
alternatives.... :)

    - Eric