On Sun, 6 Jul 2003, Eric Galluzzo wrote:

> In practice, I have found that I usually don't include that many
> dynamics on one line, so most Y: lines (at least in my music) would
> probably end up looking something like this:
> Y:       |       | * p     |     | * <(     |

That's exactly the reason why I don't like the idea of
having a separate line for dynamics: it will be
much more work to enter them, and it won't make the
notation any prettier.

> To be honest, the %%staves directive is much easier for me to read. :)
> I can easily tell what goes where.  But I may well just be in the
> minority here, and I'll bow to whatever the consensus is.  One beef is
> that I don't know if "merge" means that the voice should merge with the
> previous voice or the next voice.

I fully agree on that with you. Since the %%staves
notation uses a graphical notation, it is much more
intuitive to understand. I do not think you're in the
minority here.

> Yup, quite right.  All this seems like information that pertains to that
> particular voice.  But the staff grouping marks seem like "metastaff"
> information -- or information about staff groups (as Lilypond would call
> them), so I feel that they shouldn't go on the actual voices themselves.

You hit the nail on the head:
meta information should be specified with a %% command.

Irwin