Tom Keays wrote:
Perhaps, despite the widespread instances of "!" as
line-breaks, it would be better to use "*" for this -- making "*" the
equivalent of "!" and deprecating "!" (if you can deprecate something that
wasn't in the standard to begin with) -- rather than messing with changing
the !...! usage.  While !...! may be less used than "!", it is already part
of the standard.

I wouldn't be too much afraid of removing something from the standard if the majority finds it a bad idea. I use the !! notation in my tunes rather intensively, but if the future standard dictates otherwise, I personally wouldn't mind rewriting them... But of course we could say the same thing about the !-linebreak notation.

--
Bert Van Vreckem                 <http://flanders.blackmill.net/>
Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and