on 7/5/03 9:10 PM, John Walsh wrote:
> Well, if " \ " is the symbol for continuation, which tells
> the program "Don't feel you have to put a linebreak here,"
> you could have " \\ " for "and I really mean it."

I have to admit I haven't taken the time to fully understand all the ins and
out of the codepages discussion but I would have thought that, harking back
to the use of "\" as an escape character -- ie, that it prints reserved
characters -- that "\\" would print "\" and couldn't be used as a nobreak.
Do we have another collision of a character being used in multiple manners?

Personally, whenever I see the "\" used as a continuation symbol (especially
on tunes exchanged in listservs), the first thing I do is remove them.  I
hadn't tuned into "!" as a line-break so much (I will be more aware now) but
likely I would do the same thing.

Regarding the "*", it is a symbol that was mentioned in the 1.6 standard as
forcing a right-justified line-break (albeit for MusicTeX which did not do
this as the default).  Perhaps, despite the widespread instances of "!" as
line-breaks, it would be better to use "*" for this -- making "*" the
equivalent of "!" and deprecating "!" (if you can deprecate something that
wasn't in the standard to begin with) -- rather than messing with changing
the !...! usage.  While !...! may be less used than "!", it is already part
of the standard.