John Norvell wrote:
> All of the tunes (hundreds) in my private collection use |!(newline)
> as the line terminator.
> Attached are a few examples.

Which all look a bit odd, as if you'd formatted them carefully for
source-readability and then some gremlin intervened to insert random
amounts of leading whitespace in each line.  How did it get there?

(Open them with a text editor to see it, I assume abc2win is hiding
it from you).

Could you post a screenshot of how this source looks to you when
you're editing it?

> I've never heard of using ! in the middle of a line as a terminator
> and think that we should deprecate that usage.

Why?  Lots of abc2win users do it and as I've been arguing, a lot
more people ought to, whatever the software they have.  If the ! is
only used on the end of a line it adds no new expressive feature to
the language.

In this line

  BBe2A4 e2 :|  Z ||!

what does the Z mean?