Jack,

It appears that the font in abc2win isn't a fixed width font (not sure if
that's the default or my poor selection...).  When I bring up some tunes in
WordPad which uses fixed width font the left margins are out of whack.
Maybe that's what you're seeing.  "!" in the middle of the line adds to the
parser confusion that has been discussed lately.  Some who don't know about
|!<newline> are tempted to throw it out altogether which would be a shame.

I think (and I realise that this opinion isn't shared by all) that notation
programs should *not* staff break upon <newline>.   Some have already
brought up the compelling argument of the "email daemon" that
indiscriminately adds newlines.  There are also the well-intentioned but
misguided applications that automatically clip lines off at 79 characters
that further exasperates the problem.

Most notation programs are pretty good about figuring out how much music can
comfortably fit on a staff.  I think by default we should let them do as
they please unless they see a |!<newline> which is our way of saying "break
because I say so".

Just an opinion.
-John