John Chambers wrote -

>The difference is somewhat minimal, though.  The original text had as
>example  "K:D  =c",  which  implies a key signature of two sharps but
>with a natural written before all the c's.  The natural  reaction  to
>this  is  "If  all  the  c's  are  natural,  why put a c sharp in the
>signature and then cancel  it  everywhere?"  This  is  indeed  rather
>silly.  It's better to just use ^f as the key signature.

The difference seems real enough to me.  If I specify an explicit key
signature, I want it to appear at the beginning of the staff.  Someone who wants
global accidentals wants them scattered through the music.  As far as I can see,
global accidentals only make sense if you start from a key of C when they might
make things clearer for learners by emphasising what a key signature means.
Does anybody actually use them?  I'd be happy to see them go.  I think you
suggested making it a run time option which seems reasonable.

>OTOH, using
>"K:Dmix=c" with ^f=c as the signature can be sensible, because that c
>natural  in  the  key  signature  instead  of a sharp is an "advisory
>accidental" that emphasizes the fact that the c is not sharp.

I would have thought that this would confuse people unfamiliar with modes who
will think that K:Dmix=c and K:Dmix are something different, especially since
you also suggest things like K:Dphr^F where the ^F changes the key given by
Dphr and implies that the mode is phrygian.  K:_b_e^f tonic=D mode=freygish
would be much clearer.

>If we were designing abc from scratch, I'd agree.

This is where I came in three (?) years ago, by using this as an example of
how we were stuck with an unsatisfactory system when a little more thought and
cooperation could have come up with a better way.

>ABC is compact and cryptic, but easy to type.

       but is it easy to understand?
  There are more people trying to read it than type it.

Bryan Creer