On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 11:50:19AM +0000, Tom Novelli wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Jul 2003, Richard Robinson wrote:
> >
> > But, as has been said before, ABC is used for a lot more than just
> > rendering sheet music. One advantage it has, to me, over just about
> > everything else I've looked at is the way it offers a usable way of storing
> > _lots_ of tunes, rather than just concentrating on how to do one tune.
> > Which depends on being able to note what country it comes  from, what
> > "sort" of tune it is, etc etc. People may have used the O: R:, etc etc,
> > fields in "non-standard" ways, but if we drop them, all of this will
> > become non-standard, and people will be forced to invent their own ways
> > of representing this. So there'll be even less clarity than now, and
> > ABC collections will become less readable, to anyone except the author,
> > than they are now.
>
> We could define a cataloguing system in the standard, or we could leave it
> up to individual tune collectors.  I notice you use a lot of %% fields in
> your files...

Yes. I use more fof them, privately, but filter them out before
publishing - the ones I leave are those that "might" (conceivably) be of
some informational use to others. Well, %%Copyright is _vital_.
I also make *huge* use of O:, R:, and wish I'd started using D:, B:. etc
earlier ... I'm working on a new update at the moment. One change I'm
making is that I've noticed Guido's updated definition of "F:", which
seems very sensible, so I'm replacing my %%OriginalCollection field with
it.

People use ABC for such different purposes ... I use it for storing
tunes, and (crucially) being able to find them again, search them, look
for things, build lists ... has no-one else ever wanted a list of all
the tunes they can find from one particular country, of one particular
"sort" ? How could you do that, if everuybody makes up their own fields
to store those facts in ?

> It's tough to pigeonhole tunes into any category.  I've got a book that
> says Reel Beatrice is French-Canadian and a CD that says an Italian wrote
> it... and who says you can't play it like a hornpipe?  And the waters
> really get muddy when you get into Irish/English/Scottish/Welsh/Cornish
> reels/hornpipes/strathspeys/polkas/marches...

Yes, yes, pigeonholing can be a moveable feast. Doesn't mean it
shouldn't be possible. There's nothing (or there shouldn't be anything)
to stop you writing 2 separate lines
R:Reel
R:Hornpipe
or
O:French-Canadian
O:Italian
if you want to, and even add a N: explaining the confusion.

Likewise there's nothing to stop you _not_ writing such lines if you
don't want to. But I would suggest that tunes that do give such info
in a standard form will be of more use to other people, not to mention
possible future TuneFinders, and other such software.

> I keep referring to "sheet music" with no mention of player programs.
> The beautiful thing about written music is that it's open to
> interpretation!  Player programs will always sound cheesy, they'll always
> screw up implicit lead-ins and such... why complicate the format by making
> concessions to them?  Use Abc+ for that.

Other people may have uses for player programs, I'll leave it up to them
to pursue that, I don't use them much. I'm not talking about that, I'm
talking about being able to use ABC to organise collections of tunes.

> Anyway, if there's a good reason to keep R: and O: then let's keep them,
> if only for everyone but the transcriber to ignore.

Well, *no* They're much more generally useful than that.

--
Richard Robinson