On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 03:53:17PM +0000, John Chambers wrote:

> I've long thought that we really should have a well-defined place  in
> abc for the copyright info.  I also think that the best would be:
>
> Copyright: \251 1998 Joe Smith ...
>
> The ... would be the usual phrases that you see in such notices.  I'd
> also suggest that we strongly encourage a URL or email address in the
> ...  portion, so that people can easily find the owner  and  ask  for
> permission to use the music.

Slight digression. I changed my email address a couple of months ago.
My old one, now dead&gone, was a dead loss from the POV of spam, since
I'd been giving it out since before that became an issue. But the new
one's a different matter ... I need to get out an update to my web
tunes, one of the reasons being that wherever I've marked a
transcription as mine, in Z:, I've given my (old) email address.
I'm replacing that with a URL for a (address-harvester-proofed (well,
maybe ...)) webpage giving a (changeable) contact email. My point
is just that, if ABC files make it out into public view, which is where
coyright info is most vital, we should note that any email addresses
they contain may be a spam risk, while (if) encouraging people to use
them. URLs much better; unless they contain email links ...

> We could pick one of the unused single-letter headers,  if  we  don't
> want to make the jump to full-word headers. Of course, the best would
> be just:
>
> ©: 1998 Joe Smith ...
>
> But some people might have problems figuring out how to type this. On
> many  linux  and  *BSD systems, you can get the copyright symbol with
> the ALT-) (or ALT-SHIFT-0) combination, but I don't think  this  will
> work on Windoze or Mac systems.

I have to confess, I've always had trouble getting the 8th-bit chars out
of my keyboard (Debian Linux). And it'd break 8-bit-cleanness, are there
still 7bit mailers around ? But apart from that, yes - it would be a simple
and obvious one to use.

--
Richard Robinson