these are all arguments for full-word labels.

%% looks kludgy to me.

N: is cryptic

I just don't understand why this is an issue.

jw

On Sunday, July 20, 2003, at 01:41 pm, John Chambers wrote:

John McChesney-Young writes:
| John Chambers wrote in part:
|
| >©: 1998 Joe Smith ...
| >
| >But some people might have problems figuring out how to type this. On
| >many linux and *BSD systems, you can get the copyright symbol with
| >the ALT-) (or ALT-SHIFT-0) combination, but I don't think this will
| >work on Windoze or Mac systems.
|
| In Mac OS most fonts assign the copyright symbol keystroke
| combination OPTION-G.

With the Terminal on my new  Powerbook  (OSX)  it  beeps  at  me  and
nothing appears on the screen. Now, this window is ssh'd to a FreeBSD
box, but I know it's not the software there that's doing it.  I typed
the earlier message via an xterm on a linux system, ssh'd to the same
machine, and the ALT-) went right through without problems.   So  I'd
have  to  say  that  the  Mac's  Terminal app is what's rejecting the
OPTION-G char and beeping at me.  I've dug around in the help  stuff,
but haven't found any clues.  Lots of idiot-level help for how to use
the menus and set the font, which I guessed on my own.  But nothing I
can find that let's me input the rest of the character set.

| I'm *guessing* in my state of large-scale ignorance that since the
| text of JC's message is displaying correctly in my screen font of
| Geneva (in Eudora Pro) that the symbol has the same location in the
| keyboard map that his system has given it. I'm very open to
| correction though.
|
| This is my OPTION-G: ©.

One annoying thing here is that  the  silly  FreeBSD  version  of  vi
insists  on  rewriting  that  as \xa9, although outside the editor it
displays as the copyright glyph.  It's yet another silly  barrier  to
getting  the  text  displayed right, and I haven't found a way to fix
it. I wish the little beast weren't trying to "help" me so much. If I
copy  such  files  over to a linux box, the editors display the chars
correctly.  I've gotten quite familiar with such idiocies, as I  work
routinely  on  a  flock  of  machines  scattered  across the Net, all
running different releases of different vendors' systems. You'd think
they  could  all  handle  inputting  and  displaying a copyright char
correctly by now, what with all the fuss over copyright issues.