From: "Bernard Hill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >> It's actually hemidemisemiquavers.
> >> But my Australian customers explicly told me they use hdsqs.
> >> And 1/128th notes are semihemidemisemiquavers
> >
> >You must be kidding! Ludicrous!
>
> Why? I admit that there is logic to the US terms, but I have to think
> carefully "how many flags has a 1/32nd note?" whereas I know a
> demisemiquaver has 3.
>
> >> Most musicians can translate though
> >I must admit I cannot,
> then you have never read a British or Australian book on music
>  I take it.
I think that most books which are seeking for a large audience
use quarter, eight etc. instead of the more antique
semihemidemisemiquavers ore whatever.
I am aware that there exists something like semihemidemisemiquavers
but I'm quite sure that there are few dutch musicians who know
to use them, unless you read a lot of UK-english books on that topic.
I do have quite some books on the topic of music engraving
but apparently non of them is using semihemidemisemiquavers. :-)

> >nor can I make much sense of
> >miles, fl.oz, Fahrenheit, gallons, and all those other
> >outlandish measurements you guys have mantioned.
I need a calculator most of the times, but is cannot transform
semihemidemisemiquavers ;-)

> >> However personally I prefer the US terms in that area.
> >It's not something specifically American; the
> >fraction designations for note lengths are used and
> >understood throughout the world, save for the United
> >Kingdom, it seems.
I can't speak for the world, but in the Netherlands: anyway.

> No, as I say it's also Australasia. In fact if you add up the countries
> or inhabitants it's probably more use the British terms. I know they do
> in many places in Europe, and I certainly have Dutch customers who use
> them when writing to me.
Funny, they have been extraordinarily well been music-educated
It's not something you encounter every day in the Netherlands

> And I didn't say we don't understand them.
> We are broad-minded enough to
> read US books and dictionaries and program notes etc.
>
> >Here in continental Europe, we have Euros, kilometers,
> >liters, celsius, and 1/128th notes, and we do not
> >understand anything more exotic than that...
> Of course you do.
don't be too sure... Fahrenheit isn't understood by most dutch since
apart from
the notion that it has something to do with temperature, and that 100F is
different from 100C...

> You know about dollars and pounds for exchange rates.
dollar=euro
pound=??? (lookup somewhere)
> The French even have "livres" = pounds (weight). And I have read French
> technical articles on chemical engineering which refer to pouce = inch.
>From which century?
The French started the SI system...
To be honest, in Holland we used to have an ''ons'' for 100g en ''pond" voor
500g but they are officially abandoned since a few decades, and fit in with the
metric system.

Arent