>Let's see; if I read this correctly, then in the line:
>
>   ...|!dead!trill!beef|...
>
>the !dead! would be the decoration,  and  the  staff  break
>would come in the middle of the bar.  Right?

Good point, but generally people who are using one "system" (who
belong to the abc2win sect for ex., or in the opposite to the
abcm2ps sect) won't use the other one.

>A couple of other people  have  given  examples  like  this
/.../
> But  if we include both in the standard, we can
>assume that people and programs will soon start using both,

I thought with the new standard the ! as line break was supposed
to be still supported for backward compatibility, and only
tolerated, with advice to avoid to use both, or to use with care.
I think in the abc files I made we can find both, but not in this
kind of use :
 ...|!dead!trill!beef|...